- On March 14, the Ministry of Education (MoE) announced district Operating Grants for 2018/19.
- From the March 14 Committee V report:
- For the September 2018 enrolment intake, the Ministry has projected 3,000 more students in the province as compared to the current school year.
- Vancouver is one of 10 school districts in the province that is projected to have declining enrolment, as mentioned previously.
- The provincial block grant has increased by $130 million of which $105 million relates to collective agreement wage lifts for teachers and support staff and increase enrolment in the province. There is a $25 million add back for administrative savings.
- On March 5, VSB wrote to the Ministers of Finance and Education to lay out concerns about the Employer Health Tax.
- On March 27, the MoE announced some of the funding approved from district Capital Plan funding requests submitted last June including $65 million for School Enhancement Program (SEP), $5 million for Carbon Neutral Capital Program (CNCP) and $12.5 million for School Bus Replacement Program (SBRP).
- VSB's request (pages 44 & 45)
- VSB will receive $981,000 from the School Enhancement Program for:
- Washroom upgrades at Champlain Heights Elementary, Thunderbird Elementary and Lord Byng Secondary
- Fire alarm upgrades at Magee Secondary
- PA system upgrades at ten schools
- Roofing upgrades at five schools
K-12 Public Education Funding Review
- Ministry announcement on March 1.
- Ministry website information.
- Submissions already received.
- Funding model review discussion paper. School districts are encouraged to work with parents to gather their views on how funds should be allocated. Submit questions and submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 30.
- VSB report to be given at April 4 Committee I.