From: Ruth Anderson (VSB District Strings Teacher)
Re: Strings Concerts Schedule and Information
District Event: Spring District Concert at Churchill Secondary
Date & Time: Wednesday, April 29, 2015,
7:00pm concert, 9:00am – 12:00noon rehearsal at Churchill
Place: Churchill Secondary School, 7055 Heather Street, Vancouver BC
Schools: Churchill Secondary Schools; Cavell, David Lloyd George, Jules Quesnel, Sexsmith, and LordTennyson Elementary Schools
The Vancouver School Board’s strings program is planning a district concert this year at Churchill Secondary in April that will involve over 300 strings students from Churchill Secondary and four elementary schools. In preparation for this concert, we want the following information to be sent out early so that dates can be marked on home calendars and parents can be ready.
- In preparation for the concert there will be a dress rehearsal on the morning of April 29th. Students will be taken by school bus to Churchill Secondary at 9:00am and return to school during the lunch hour. During that evening, students will need to arrive with their parents at 6pm in order to tune before the concert. Because planning needs to be precise, students attend the rehearsal must attend the concert. Absenteeism during the evening concert is unacceptable.
- A lunch will be provided for the strings students that day. Further information regarding how to obtain that, and where the students will receive that will be forthcoming.
- Tickets are not required at this event, but if your family would like to make a donation at the door, there will be an opportunity to do so. Donations are made directly to the VSB strings program and allow further concerts such as this one to continue.
- Parking is free, but there is limited street parking surrounding the Churchill Secondary school.
- The concert attire for students is white tops (white dress shirt or blouse) and black bottoms (black trousers or skirts) and black dress shoes with socks. A uniform and professional look will go a long way in establishing a sense of a performance in a professional venue.
- Students in grades 5, 6 and 7 are highly encouraged to have their own wire/folding music stand (or at least with their partner), in order to play at this concert. There will not be any black music stands for our use at this venue. If you do not have your own wire/folding music stand, you can purchase one from Mrs. Anderson for $15 in the next few weeks. These are a great addition to any household for practicing a musical instrument.
- A student permission form will go home in the weeks shortly after this information notice. Please be on the watch out for further details at that time. Please direct any questions to me via email or note in my school box. Thank you.