This was my first year as PAC Chair, and it has been a great experience working with the incredible teachers, administrators, and staff at Lord Tennyson, and of course, the enthusiastic, engaged parents who dedicate countless hours and seemingly endless energy towards enriching the school experience for students.
Due to the generosity and efforts of students and parents, we were fortunate again this year to have exceeded our fundraising goal of $28,445. These funds were directed towards many things, including:
* Equipment and technology to supplement the school curriculum, such as science apparatus, cooking kits, and iPads.
* Tools to support the diverse learning needs to students, like noise blocking earmuffs and a wooden sand tray.
* Presentations and programs for students, such as the "Power of One: Anti-bullying" session, Two Hoop dance show, other fine arts presentations, and the Roots of Empathy program.
* Speakers for the parent community, on topics such as sexual health, financial literacy for children, and parenting in a digital world.
* Many other miscellaneous items, like a Tennyson flag for our athletic groups, First Nations books, and greening around the school grounds.
In addition to our operating budget, we were also fortunate to have a budget surplus from the 2015/2016 year. This surplus resulted from receiving some unexpected funds -- Whole Foods Thanksgiving Dinner and a large sum from the Quebec 2016 group -- as well as profit from sushi lunches and the Halloween Howl, both of which are not considered fundraisers but more as a community service/event. Based on a survey that went out to parents and consultation with teachers, we were able to put those funds towards the following:
* More science equipment and supplies ($2000)
* UBC Geering Up science workshops for all grades ($1900)
* On-line safety presentations for intermediate students ($1600)
* Home reading books for primary students ($4000)
* iPads to be used by all grades ($6700)
Also, with the help of numerous volunteers, there were many different activities and events throughout the year for students to participate in:
* Noon hour programs
* Both French and English Scholastic book fairs
* Sports clubs (cross-country, track and field, kilometer club)
* Bike to School Week
* Halloween Howl and Spring Fling
* Hot Lunch Programs
Thank you to everyone who contributed their time, effort, and energy. Tennyson really has an amazing community of parents and students. It is truly a wonderful thing to be a part of. Finally, I would like to give a big thank you to all of the other executive members for their commitment and for assisting and supporting me in this role.
Lord Tennyson PAC Chair, 2016-2017