| || |
"What a great evening!" was a refrain heard over and over on this night. Your Correspondent attended Lord Tennyson's "Meet the Teacher", and was greatly impressed with the level of care and attention shown by all the children, in laying out and discussing their work-to-date. A big "thank-you" goes out to all teachers for taking the time to organize their classes, and invite the parents to see what happens, on a daily basis, behind Tennyson's hallowed halls.
Then, it was on to the Welcome Back BBQ, for a chance to mingle and feed. The food was "pub-fare", though sans pub: plentiful, nutritious, and tasty.
A few observations to help capture the essence of the dining experience:
- burger texture was just right, each flamed with care, resulting in a juicy inner sheltered by a crispy outer;
- hot dogs were well-grilled: attentive and continuous turning revealed a savoury character, with boisterous hints of beefy goodness, subtle undertones of pork, taking one back to the slow, hot days of grassy-field fun and frolic;
- samosas were huge: indeed, something to behold. Gentle spicing offered an unobtrusive but tantalizing hint of Sub-Continent delights (and, surprisingly, would have paired well with a dry Riesling, at least according to some);
- muffin granularity was on par with the best, each bite releasing a gentle but well-balanced overture of sweet and savoury;
- cookies and mini-donuts ... well, they sold too soon for a degustation. 'Nuff said!