Tennyson's Diversity & Inclusion Committee has also put together these resources for you and your family:
- The word Indigenous explained
- Namwayut: we are all one. Truth and reconciliation in Canada
- Use the Teacher’s Guide on Native-Land.ca to find out more about the nations, languages or treaties that belong to the land you live on. Share with friends and family across the country.
- Learn how to pronounce Sḵwx̱wú7mesh and then learn some greetings.
- Listen to the Truth and Reconciliation Summary Report.
- Read books by indigenous authors to and with your children.
- Listen to The Secret Life of Canada’s "What do you really know about the Indian Act?"
- Sign up for Indigenous Canada, a free online course to learn more about Indigenous histories and contemporary issues in Canada.
- Visit the Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion for resources.
- Donate to the Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre Society. While you do, find out more about Friendship Centres here (a 10 minute listen.)
- Donate to the Indian Residential School Survivors Society.
- Arts Umbrella
https://www.artsumbrella.com/national-day-for-truth-and-reconciliation-au/?bbeml=tp-FpPVFJLH9UOzP33EroyMFw.j7XoECg67SEeHAZCKiqwW8Q.rIwnFWrhKjkuWu-hnNv0QRg.l8x297a3AM0Wti7d-vRauZw Instead of closing our doors on September 30th, families are invited and encouraged to join us for a meaningful day of reflection and education. Activities and talks will be age-appropriate and led by Indigenous artists and knowledge keepers.
- CTYP - Frozen River
In nîkwatin sîpiy, Grandmother Moon tells the story of two eleven-year-olds, born under the same blood moon, but in different parts of the world. This new play follows their stories as they meet in a forest, and that of their descendants who meet in the present day in what is known as Manitoba. A broken promise from the past can be righted when there is finally an openness to learn from those who have protected and honoured the waterways for centuries.
On behalf of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, thank you for taking the time to learn more about Truth and Reconciliation. If you have would like to be a part of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, please email to join us.
The Tennyson PAC Team