The VBE is committed to improving the safety of students and staff in the event of an earthquake. In order to achieve this goal as quickly as possible, the Ministry of Education and the VBE have formed the Vancouver Project Office. The goal of the Vancouver Project Office is to expedite all VBE seismic projects. This co-governed office will be staffed by professional personnel dedicated to overseeing the seismic projects in Vancouver schools.
Tennyson is one of the 16 schools that was scheduled to begin the Project Definition Report (PDR) phase in January 2015. Due to the complexity of seismic upgrade work and the extended time required to complete the previous round of schools, the Vancouver Board of Education (VBE) has decided to prioritize the first 8 of these schools. Consultants for these first eight projects have been retained and have commenced work on the PDR phase of the project. The work in the PDR phase requires approximately 6-12 months to examine all aspects of the project and to recommend the seismic option needed. When the seismic option is decided on, the school community is informed and work proceeds to the next phases.
Subject to available resources, the second group of schools identified in the Capital Plan are targeted to begin the PDR phase in the later part of 2015.
Please contact your school Principal if you have further questions.
List of the FIRST 8 Schools:
- Killarney Secondary School
- David Thompson Secondary School
- Dr. Annie Jamieson Elementary School
- Lord Tennyson Elementary School
- Maple Grove Elementary School
- Eric Hamber Secondary School
- Point Grey Secondary School
- Renfrew Elementary School
- Sir Alexander Mackenzie Elementary School
- Waverley Elementary School
- Edith Cavell Elementary School
- Prince of Wales Secondary School
- Templeton Secondary School
- General Wolfe Elementary School
- David Lloyd George Elementary School
- Bayview Elementary School